Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shoot Skeet!


This morning I read in the local paper that several outside organizations requested City funding this week, and one of them was the private company the Laramie Trap Club. Now, I ask you, why would the Trap Club ask for money, and why would City Council consider ponying up? Since when has trap and skeet shooting been in the public interest?

Don't get me wrong; I love that there are all sorts of activities in town to meet a variety of interests, but where is the common welfare of the citizen taxpayers served by a private trap club?

And to add insult to injury, the request was for money to replace broken windows and make other repairs around the clubhouse. What?! I'd rather the City fund shooting lessons for these guys so they can avoid having to ask for money to replace windows in the future. (I know, there are girls who shoot skeet too. Sorry; didn't mean to leave you out.)

Anyway, here is my letter to the editor. Let me know if I am missing something here?

To the Editor:

In response to an article in the February 25 Boomerang, I am compelled to ask why private organizations like the Laramie Trap Club would request or be considered for City funding? The purpose of government is to care for the public interest, primarily providing services private companies can’t or don’t but that would benefit all, yes? I can understand the City assisting the Eppson Center, public library, or soup kitchen, which are available to all Laramie residents for use, and mostly for “free”, but a private company that serves such a specific population as skeet and trapshooters?

My intention in this letter is not to vilify the Trap Club; it’s nice that there are activities available in Laramie to meet a variety of interests. I would question even funding the Rifle Range (a non-profit organization operating for the public via volunteers) or Alpine Tennis, both of which have requested money, in these lean financial times, especially. Alpine Tennis has been successful in acquiring grant funding; perhaps fundraising efforts outside asking for City money is a more appropriate venue for solicitation. I like to bowl, but I wouldn’t want to know that Laramie City Council gave money to the local bowling alley to build new lanes. On the other hand, if someone from the Trap Club asked me to buy a raffle ticket, I’d hand over some money of my own accord.

I trust that the Laramie City Council members will make funding choices based on the public interest, but I really felt compelled to write proactively, as so often we wait for something to happen and then react to those circumstances.

Thank you.

No comments: