Monday, March 31, 2008

"Stuff White People Like" v. Treasury Overhaul of Financial Regulators

Today I had to start my day twice. I didn't have to, but I had the good fortune to be able to start my day a second time. This week began poorly. Somehow time disappeared this morning while I was writing checks to pay bills, and I didn't have any left to make the bed before going to work. I barely had time to dress before going to work. It's a good thing I found time to dress, or my resignation might have been handed to me early. Or maybe that would have been a good thing, since walking into a classroom at 8:30 AM seems to be harder and harder every day. (This is no reflection on my ability to commit to a job; only my ability to commit to a job for longer than a couple or say, four, years or so, which should assure you all that were I elected President of the USA, I would not advocate for the demise of term limits.)

Then my friend got hit by a car while riding her bike to work. No, she got hit by a car being driven by an idiot who not only fled the scene leaving only her first name and mobile number, but who also asked the policeman to hang on a minute when he called her about the "accident," (my ex-husband used to say there is no such thing as an accident; here, I concur) because she was busy being ticketed by Highway Patrol for speeding. I am thankful that my friend does not, apparently, have any broken bones or major damage, and sorry that her week began even more poorly than mine did. While I was waiting for the Future First Man to complete his exercise regimen this evening before we went to take this friend's dogs for a walk, since she is now on crutches, when she is walking at all, I had the opportunity to begin my day again. I took another shower, dressed in clean clothes, made the bed with fresh sheets, and ate a couple little bowls of Cinnamon Crunch.

But, the day still, for reasons I will not bore you with- although I will lament with the rest of you in this country who are upset that it is still eight hundred below zero with 112 mile an hour winds gusting to 170, snowing incessantly, and tomorrow is April?- has progressed in such a way that today's competing subjects for posting aren't really in competition. I would much rather laugh my arse off at this little gem Becky "Badwheat" found and sent, "Stuff White People Like": http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/, than read about how Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson has laid out a whopping plan to overhaul regulatory oversight of the country's financial system, including expanding the authority of the Fed over financial markets (which will certainly, if it has not already, get some conspiracy theorists in a whirl.) However, since it's more ugly politics, the story does warrant mentioning. So here it is: Today's NYT headlines included this one, "Obstacles Seen As Treasury Proposes New Financial Rules." Find it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/31/business/31cnd-regulate.html?8au&emc=au

"Stuff White People Like" v. Treasury Overhaul of Financial Regulators
Stuff wins.

Speaking of winning, Rob RohrTM is the winner of the Icon Contest for his McCain and Obama icons. I am still looking for the perfect one for Hillary. C'mon.

No comments: