Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Why Am I Here?

We are in Yuma. I just read my weekly MegaVote report. Cynthia Lummis, our Wyoming US House Representative, voted NO on the Water Quality Investment Act of 2009, designed to authorize funding for the Clean Water State Revolving Fund, which helps states build water treatment facilities. That's right; she said NO. I asked her why, in an e-mail, but also let her know that I didn't expect an answer, since this concerned constituent has never yet received one from her. And I have written several times since she took office. Several.

But Wyoming was not the only state to vote NO. Also voting NO were: South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Utah... I would like to wax rude on Utah for a while because I have been itching to do so since we entered that state sometime like early evening on Saturday and those brahims in their giant 4WD pickup trucks started acting all rude at us. I would like to begin by acknowleding that I know I am generalizing, though it was the predominance of our experience in Utah, and that there likely are some nice people in Utah, just like there are some nice folks who are locked up in prison for absolutely no reason except for human error or manipulation.

Utah is home to the Wise Use Movement. You know, wise use, meaning the use of your dirt bike and old Jeep with the big tires, and your ATV (ATV meaning "All Terrain Vehicle," which you should drive on ALL TERRAIN, especially delicate arid desert soil because that is everywhere in Utah and it's your public lands all over the place, so use them, dammit, because you do pay your taxes)... Well, that's that.

These people won't actually be able to pay their taxes pretty soon because they have all, every single one of them, lost their jobs, thanks to Ken Salazar. I know this because I saw one of those signs people set up outside restaurants and change the big black letters on to tell you what is the special of the day and how much percentage you receive off your bill if you are over 55. And the one I saw, and the FFM also saw this so you know it's true, said, "Thanks, Salazar, for taking away our jobs." Or something that means exactly the same thing. That could just be a paraphrase.

I am done busting on Utah. I am in Yuma and would like to take a shower and go outside and enjoy the sun and the warmth.

No comments: