Monday, December 29, 2008

Some Days Are Just So Fine!

It's almost 40 degrees, sunny and melting outside. I got a chance to teach Masters class at ELS for a couple hours this morning, something I enjoy because I can hold class seminar-style and not stick to a rigid curriculum (like most of real life, right?) Plus I got to see students I have missed and who are always happy to see me (or at least they act like they are.) Then, I came home just in time for Scutabaga to arrive via FedEx; in fact, via a FedEx employee who stopped on the steps to chat for a few minutes. Acer replaced the hard drive- finally!- and so far, all is in order. Some days are just really nice ones.

Now I will go to the museum to work, for which I am very grateful, instead of washing dishes and taking down the Christmas tumbleweed (something I've felt I had to wait for the FFM to leave the house before doing, since when I mentioned it the other day he gave me a load of crap for being in such a rush. But really, for some reason this year, I am ready to take it down and move on to 2009. I don't know why; 2008 has been a good year. Maybe because the break between Thanksgiving and Christmas was so short this year, and then the last few days before the actual date of Christmas, I was mired in illness- of the emotional state, not physical. And now it's just time to walk into the next year.

I'm not even going to howl about the shite going on once again between Israel and Palestine today.

Winter Morning
Ogden Nash
Winter is the king of showmen,

Turning tree stumps into snow men

And houses into birthday cakes

And spreading sugar over lakes.

Smooth and clean and frosty white,

The world looks good enough to bite.

That's the season to be young,

Catching snowflakes on your tongue.

Snow is snowy when it's snowing;

I'm sorry it's slushy when it's going


No comments: