Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Press to Speak to Attendant"

Yesterday I was at Albertson's putting gas in Verdi so I could drive to Cheyenne and back for Wicked Pony Book Club. As I stood there with the nozzle in my hand, waiting the very short time it takes anymore for $10 of gas to enter the tank, I noticed a little green button on the pump with a sign next to it that said, "Press to speak to attendant."

Suddenly, I wanted to push the button and just say, "Hi. How are you today? I hope you have a good evening." Because it was a gorgeous late afternoon, and I was sick of listening to the politicians in Washington yiping about the Evil Economic Crisis that has beset us all. And who knows how much money that attendant makes? And I'm pretty lucky to have a job, however temporary, in which I am paid as much as I am right now, while people are calling in to talk radio and television worried about how they can make ends meet.

No comments: