Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Today's Feed

It's been more than a week since I've yiped. A lot has happened around here, as well as in other places. I'm having trouble containing myself, plus it's almost bedtime and I have stacks of magazines to sort through, as my Goal for the Day (something I think is important to have, since I am underemployed and happy to be that way right now... maybe too happy...) so I'll just shoot out a few items that have caught my attention:

If we all found ourselves under this sort of scrutiny on such a regular basis, -and I will even tip my ("Chill") hat to Hillary here- most of us would be fuming. This man shows grace.

Obama admits reference to Auschwitz was wrong
http://homepage.bresnan.net/feeds/Parsers/NewsML/NewsMLArticle.aspx?file=1068678

I don't understand this one. Didn't you get that fat check yet that the President told you about in multiple mailed notices as well as in other forms of media?

Measure of Consumer Mood Hits 16-Year Low
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/business/28econ.html?8au&emc=au

While teaching at ELS, inevitably every few weeks I would receive a comment from a foreign student that racism is alive and well in this country, and why don't we just admit it? On racial and (growing) socioeconomic divides:

Do ethnographic studies have to shock us to get our attention?
Some Thoughts on Ethnography
http://chronicle.com/review/brainstorm/jackson/some-thoughts-about-ethnography?utm_source=cr&utm_medium=en

I'm really fired up over an article I read in Audubon yesterday about drilling leases in the Chukchi Sea off the coast of Alaska (near ANWR) and the possible effects of drilling there on polar bears, and with further reading, other animals. I don't care if you hate polar bears or hate environmentalists, or don't believe in global climate change or that we ought to cut back on our consumption of fossile fuels. If you are anyone who cares anything about people not messing with your own life, you should have a problem with a bunch of People in Power in this country manipulating the system for their own benefit above all else, including possibly(?) breaking laws to do so. I will get back to you on this. I want to get my facts straight, in the interest of Sound Science.

No comments: