Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Things to Make You Mad, If You're Not Already


I can't help but keep getting on here to gripe. And it seems to be, inevitably, about people's greed, myopia and self-centeredness.

A few weeks ago Queen Jan and I watched "The Wind That Shakes the Barley," a fine historical film about Ireland's War for Independence from Britain and subsequent Civil War in the early 20th century. Afterward, I wondered what would cause me to pick up a gun and shoot someone else.

Yesterday I finally found a reason to pick up a gun and at least wave it threateningly: the Burmese junta. Make no mistake; these people are greedy, not clueless, and keeping aid from their countrypeople in time of need is an act of genocide, in my book. Future cabinet member Adam seems a little more trigger-happy, saying, "The Burmese junta needs to be nuked and buried under 100 feet of concrete." (Don't let this scare you from voting for me. It simply means you can be assured of having a President in office who is passionate about the people and who is surrounded by others who are... compassionate?)


http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/finally-us-aid-touches-down-in-burma/2008/05/12/1210444335495.html

Here are some other reasons to get mad, if not to want to wield a gun, exactly:

--- People not paying attention when they are walking along the sidewalk and choose to walk 18 abreast, regardless of oncoming foot and bicycle traffic. What happened to sticking to the right and allowing others access, too? I will tell you what happened to that concept: People now grow up attached to computers and i-pods and live in virtual worlds and don't know how - or care- to pay attention to the immediate surrounding environment. (That's my theory.)

--- Chinese spammers (or any other spammers and hackers) who hack into e-mail accounts to try to get your money and your personal information and whatever else they can acquire in their greed. I am picking on Chinese spammers today because it appears that I (and all the people in my address book who got a poorly worded message from "me") was victimized by someone from China or who speaks Chinese in the wee hours of the morning while I was trying to sleep. On my old Yahoo account, which I kept for the purposes of accessing the local Freecycle group, and for no other reason. So, now I have deleted that account and have lost that access and will have to be very aware of all correspondence regarding my life, for who knows how long because thievery abounds in the world. And there is a limit to karma. I think I paid my dues a long time ago when I let someone get away with my first mountain bike and my first snowboard. I am ready to take up arms. (And if people are going to be so rude, they could at least take the time to use proper English grammar and spelling in their insults.)

That's enough, I suspect, at least for now.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Yes, this so-called "government" of "Myanmar" must be dealt with! This aggression will not stand, man!